GLASS: THE FAMILY, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND

"Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely."

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Weston is 7!

It is almost unbelievable to me that Weston is actually seven years old! It occurred to me on his birthday that I have now spent 20% of my life being a mom. Everything before that was just preparation for this most glorious adventure and I thank God each and every day for the chance to be mom to my kids!  Weston made me a mommy, and I will never, ever forget the feeling I had while looking down at him, cuddled in my arms, only days after his birth.  I was overwhelmed, as most moms are, with my love for him.  I thought I would never be able to love anyone else as much as I loved this incredible, perfect creation!  I was almost convinced that I could never have another child, because it just wouldn't be fair since I could never love another child the same way I loved Weston!  Fortunately, I was wrong.  Awww...these kids!

So, Weston's birthday started off in the typical manner.  I told him I was picking him up for a special birthday lunch which he was thrilled about, since he is not a fan of eating in the lunch room at school.  What he didn't know was that I actually had planned to take him out of school for the rest of the day!  I had planned to go to the Children's Discovery Museum (one of his most favorite places in the world).  After having a fabulous lunch with Jason, we headed off to the museum, but MUCH to our chagrin, it was closed!  We all felt pretty sad, and Weston burst out into tears.  I tried to think of how I could salvage our afternoon, and decided to head over to a large park that we hadn't spent much time exploring yet.
The kids had a BLAST!  And, it was such a bright, warm day that we actually all got a little sweaty...not something most people around the country can say in the middle of February!
I had fun capturing a few moments at the park...
This picture may as well just be a flashback to when Weston was a baby... I can't get over how much they look alike.
Giggles...
This is the look Brighton always gives me right before he darts in the opposite direction.  It's basically a tease to get me to pay attention to him and then prepare to run and catch him!
I loved that there were so many areas at the park suitable for Brighton to play!  Weston just loved being at the park while all his friends were still at school.  He kept asking me if everyone was still in school and what they were doing now.  I thought it was so funny!


Brighton kept being drawn to this bench..  It's not every day you find a bench to match your jammies, after all!
Weston and Sophie couldn't get enough of these slides...they probably spent at least 45 minutes just doing slides...of course, Brighton jumped in too.  I didn't get any pictures of him, though, because I was holding him every time.  Although, if it were up to him I'm sure he would have just plunged ahead on his own!  I have to admit that I kind of enjoyed the slides too...

.

Peek-a-boo!
Sophie is always ready for her turn in front of the camera...
Weston finds posing for a picture a pretty big nuisance, but it is worth the hassle.  Just look at this handsome kid!
After getting home, I quickly whipped up a cake and made dinner (with Jason's help).  Weston got to talk on the phone with some VIP's (grandparents and Uncle Mike), and eat his special sushi roll, which is what he wanted for his birthday dinner.  I don't know if I've ever seen anyone inhale sushi with such enthusiasm!  I thought it was amusing and cute that of all the food in the world, sushi was his choice.

Grandpa Bob and Curtis both came over for dinner, and after eating we had an abbreviated Family Home Evening.  Weston was hoping it could be short so that we would move on to "Weston Home Evening," as he called it. After the brief spiritual portion of FHE, Curtis gave Weston a gift from Grandma Ruth.  Mom wanted the kids to get something special of hers for their birthdays after she was gone, and I was thankful that Curtis picked this out for Weston.  It was a bunch of treasure (rocks from different countries mom had been to) and a golden key.  He related the gift to the scripture we had just read, and told Weston that the real treasure of life could be found through obedience to Heavenly Father and that is the key to happiness! I loved it, because these little things help the kids think of mom and remind them of what mattered (and still matters) most to her.  I want her to have as much influence on them as possible, so I thought the gift was perfect.
Examining the golden key with great interest...
After tearing into the remaining presents, Weston gleefully spent most of the rest of the evening with this cowboy pistol.  Apparently it was asking too much to put the darn thing down for a picture with Sophie...
How much joy can one holster bring?  Apparently, quite a lot...
Grandpa's gifts were such a hit that this is the only non-blurry picture I was able to take of gift opening!  I think it is safe to say that Weston made out like a bandit.  Both Jason's mom and my dad sent legos, which is quickly becoming a new interest...and while I'm not a fan of all the spoiling, I figure that is what grandparents do.  They have earned the right, after all.
Sophie chillin' with "Grampy"
Jason perusing one of the books Weston received...I believe this one is a book about the history of pirates.



It was a satisfying, wonderful day.  I love spending the entire afternoon with Weston and just enjoying the company of family!  What a great life! We are so blessed.


No comments: