GLASS: THE FAMILY, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND

"Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely."

Monday, January 31, 2011

Portable Canning

My first experience canning food was back in November. We took all the Young Women to the Las Vegas Home Storage Center (such a mouthful!) to fill some orders for the families in our ward... it was such an awesome experience! It totally inspired me to do some of my own canning. But since I'm allergic to half the stuff there, I signed up for the portable canner so we could begin storing stuff we would actually eat. Finally our turn came a couple of weeks ago. Let me tell you, it was much smoother than I imagined it would be! It was seriously such a simple process. We canned 18 number 10 cans in about an hour!In the end, we had 5 cans Joe's O's (Trader Joe's version of Cheerios), 4 cans of rice pasta, 2 cans of sugar, one can each of: green lentils, corn meal, brown rice, popcorn, barley, and garbanzo beans. The only problem with the last 6 items is that I still have no idea how long they're supposed to last!
Anyway, if any of you are thinking of using a portable canner soon, my one piece of advice is this: don't try to do it by yourself. The contraption that seals the cans takes a little manpower, and is much easier with two people. That's it! Just thought you'd like to know...

2 comments:

Lisa said...

That's really cool. Canning our food is something I'd like to learn how to do too...someday. :) Thanks for sharing.

Courtnie said...

I would love to start putting up some tomatoes or peaches or whatever. It is so much better! I also want to work on my food storage, just like you did! :)